Birkenhead Medical Building, 31 Laird Street, Birkenhead, CH41 8DB
Telephone: 0151 652 1955
Sorry, we're closed
PATIENT PRIVACY NOTICE 2022 National Data Opt Out Scheme – information and links for patients LEARNING DISABILITIES NEWS PRIVACY NOTICE UPDATE – The NHS GP Data Collection for Planning and Research programme and how you can Opt Out PATIENT PRIVACY NOTICE – COVID 19 UPDATE COVID19 – REVISED PRIVACY NOTICE FOR PATIENTS NEWSLETTER – SUMMER 2019 NEWSLETTER NEWSLETTER IMPROVING ACCESS TO GENERAL PRACTICE
The practice is a partnership of 3 doctors working as part of a primary health care team.
The practice employs other GPs, known as Salaried GPs – these doctors work as a full part of the practice team, and are not locums.
Together with the practice nurses, district nurses, community midwives, health visitors, and with support from the managerial and reception staff, Cavendish Medical Centre aims to provide you with the fullest possible care.
Cavendish Medical Centre aims to provide a high standard of comprehensive medical care, and try to create a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. The practice is always looking for ways to improve the services and would welcome your suggestions. Being an accredited training practice brings us lots of fresh ideas and keeps the practice up to date and forward thinking.
CQC has rated our practice as GOOD
We serve a population of approximately 5400 patients
The practice came in to being in 1913 in premises on Park Road North, Birkenhead, long before the creation of the National Health Service. The practice was formed by Dr Owens and his then partner Dr Evans. Dr Owens died in 1936 and the practice was bought by Dr James McGill and Dr Thomas. During the war years the practice was looked after by Dr Walsh. Dr James McGill was joined in the practice by Dr Paddy McGill in 1947.
Dr James McGill died in 1964 at which point Dr Bob Ievers joined the practice.
At that time the practice served 13,000 patients on the ‘panel’. In those days it was not uncommon for the doctors to undertake 28 home births each month. The population of the area dropped with the development of housing estates at Noctorum, Woodchurch, Overchurch and Ford.
Since the death in 1984 of Dr Thomas, there have been various changes in the Partnership.
Dr Vaillant joined the practice in 1984. Dr Melville joined the practice in 1989 when Dr Paddy McGill retired. In 1990 Dr Ievers died and Dr Charles Walker joined the practice, leaving in 2001 to be replaced by Dr Martin, and later by Dr Davies. Dr Vaillant retired in April 2006, after 22 years as senior partner. Dr Melville became senior partner in 2006 on the retirement of Dr Vaillant, herself retiring at the end of March 2016. Dr Davies took over the role of senior partner in 2016, retiring from the practice at the end of April 2018.
Our practice manager, Joyce Stowe, joined the team in 1992.
The present partnership comprises Dr Cheetham, Dr Clark and Dr Saadian.